The nature of Islam remains an area of intense and topical interest. In this brief but absorbing history, Tamara Sonn explores the key cultural, intellectual, social, and political developments of this fascinating religion.
- A lively history of Islam which is accessible without being simplistic.
- Breaks Islamic history into four periods, to clearly demonstrate the crucial stages of development.
- Explores the key political, cultural and ideological developments within these periods.
- Features illuminating examples of events, characters and movements to highlight key issues and involve the reader.
- Concludes with vignettes of Islamic life that represent current challenges facing Islamic societies.