What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
a'ia M'ri a'ie ACCOUNT OF TATTERSHALL An'o D'ni arches arms Artium Liberalium Mgr Bernack billets Bishop of Winchester brass figure castle and manor Chequy d'or chevron betw chiefe G chimney piece choir church of Tattershall coheiresses collegiate church Collegij qui obijt Countess of Richmond county of Lincoln Cromwell and Tateshall Cromwell quartering Tateshall cujus d'or and G Driby Duke of Suffolk Earl Fortescue Earl of Lincoln Edward engrailed ermyne fesse dauncette following inscription free warren granted hamlet of Tattershall Henry VIII Hie jacet Horncastle hujus Collegij Hypericum impaling Cromwell quartering impaling Deincourt king letters patent licence Lincolnshire church notes Lord Treasurer Cromwell lordship of Tattershall machicolations manor of Tattershall mansion houses n'ni nave north side Northamptonshire nuper Orate pro a'ia ornamented parish parliament piscina Quarterly.—1 Sepulchral Monuments socius stained glass subjoined vignette surtout a bend Tateshall quarterly Tattershall estate Tattershall Thorpe TOPOGRAPHICAL ACCOUNT tower transept Treasury purse turret Wainflet William
Page 2 - ... smaller, being designed to give light only to the rooms and galleries in that wall. The main walls were carried to the top of the fourth story, where the tower was covered by a grand platform, or flat roof, which, together with the several floors, is entirely destroyed. Surrounding this part of the tower are very deep machicolations, upon which, and part of the main walls, is a parapet of great thickness, with arches, intended to protect the persons employed over the machicolations. Upon these...
Page 1 - The part now remaining, is a rectangular brick tower of exquisite workmanship, about one hundred feet in height, divided into four stories, and flanked by four octagonal turrets; and is raised on ponderous groined arches, forming spacious vaults, which extend through the angles of the building, into the bases of the turrets.
Page 5 - CHAP. iv. architecture, appears to be coeval with the castle, and is now inhabited. On the west of the castle is another remain, apparently of the same date. Each of these buildings is situated between the outer and inner fosse. The principal entrance to the castle, with its portcullis and towers, was standing at the north-east corner of the enclosure, when Buck made his drawing in 1726.
Page 1 - Lincoln, petitioned parliament in the year 1649. The part now remaining, is a rectangular brick tower of exquisite workmanship, about one hundred feet in height, divided into four stories, and flanked by four octagonal turrets ; and is raised on ponderous arches, forming spacious vaults, which extend through the angles of the buildinz, into the buses of the turrets.
Page 11 - Cromwell, habited in full plated armour and a flowing mantle and cordon, the gauntlets reaching to the middle joint of the fingers, a long sword across him from the middle of the belt, and at his feet two wild men with clubs his supporters ; by his side the figure of Margaret his wife. About...
Page 10 - Plate II.) stands about eighty yards east of the Castle, near the outer fosse, and is a beautiful and spacious stone structure in the form of a cross, consisting of a square tower, a nave with five arches on a side, and eight clerestory windows placed in pairs, a transept, and a choir. On the north side is a porch, on which are sculptured the arms of William of Wainflete, Bishop of Winchester : formerly there were two porches on the south side, also bearing the arms of the same bishop ; but these...