A Topographical Dictionary of Wales: Comprising the Several Counties, Cities, Boroughs, Corporate and Market Towns, Parishes, Chapelaries, and Townships, with Historical and Statistical Descriptions: Embellished with Engravings of the Arms of the Cities, Bishoprics, Corporate Towns, and Boroughs; and of the Seals of the Various Municipal Corporations. With an Appendix Describing the Electoral Boundaries of the Several Boroughs, as Defined by the Late Act: Also Illustrated by Maps of the Different Counties, and a Map of North and South Wales, Volume 2

Front Cover
S. Lewis and Company, 1845 - Wales
0 Reviews
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

Popular passages

Page 162 - A Gothic bishop perhaps thought it proper to repeat such a form in such particular shoes or slippers ; another fancied it would be very decent if such a part of public devotions were performed with a mitre on his head and a crosier in his hand.
Page 92 - Great, who died in 1240, and was interred in the »bbey which he had founded at Aberconway, thence removed to Maenan, and from that place, at the dissolution, the coffin was brought to the old parish church of Llanrwst, where it remained obscured by rubbish, until placed in its present more appropriate situation. The same attention has Likewise been paid to another piece of antiquity placed near it, a recumbent armed effigy of Howel Coetmor, grandson of Davydd, brother to Llywelyn ap Gruffydd ; he...
Page 230 - ... who obtained the victory, took the mayor of Chester prisoner, and conveyed him to his mansion, where he hung him on the staple in his great hall. To avenge this affront, a party of two hundred men was despatched from Chester to seize Reinallt, who, retiring from his house into the adjoining woods, permitted a few of them to enter the building, when, rushing from his concealment, he blocked up the door, and, setting fire to the house, destroyed them in the flames; he then attacked the remainder,...
Page 402 - ... curious monuments. On the summit of a rock, rising to a considerable elevation from the vale in which the town is situated, are some remains of an ancient castle formerly of great strength, the fortifications of which once comprehended the entire summit of the eminence ; one of the apartments, 36 feet in diameter, was hewn out of the solid rock. This fortification, which is called TEBENI, Mr. Pennant conjectures to have been the strong castle of Bere, fortified by Davydd ab Grufydd, which was...
Page 361 - This fragment Is the remains of the Building Where King Edward the First Held his Parliament, AD 1283, In which passed the statute of Rhuddlan, Securing To the Principality of Wales Its Judicial Rights And Independence.
Page 357 - ... regard to age or sex. In commemoration of this disastrous event, was composed the well-known Welsh air of "Morva Rhuddlan," which is so deservedly admired for the plaintive sweetness of its melody.
Page 262 - Aherfraw, on the opposite side of the Malldraeth sands, they occasionally fixed their seat of government, as the exigencies of that turbulent period might require. At the time of the first conquest of Wales by Edward I., this place appears to have been the chief town in the island, as well as the seat...
Page 68 - Borough shall come to any Person by Descent, Marriage, Marriage Settlement, Devise, or Promotion to any Benefice or Office, such Person shall be entitled to reckon the Occupancy and Rating, in respect of the Occupancy thereof by the Person from or by whom such House, Warehouse, Counting-house or Shop shall have so come to him, as his own Occupancy and Rating conjointly with the Time during which he shall...
Page 230 - On the right of the road leading towards Caergwrle, and about a mile from Mold, is an old structure, which presents a singular specimen of the style of domestic architecture during the ages of lawless violence in which it was erected : it consists of an ancient square tower of three stories, and appears to have been designed as a place of fortified habi.tation. During the wars between the houses of York and Lancaster, it was inhabited by Reinallt ab Gruffydd ab Bleddvn, who .was constantly engaged...
Page 99 - It consists of a nave and chancel, with a tower at the west end, containing one bell only.