Although part of the Chickasaw Nation, virgin soil lured pioneers into Indian Territory, and by 1900, intruders outnumbered Native Americans 10 to 1, building communities throughout Native American lands. In 1887, on a grassy prairie where buffalo had roamed, men gathered where the Santa Fe Railroad planned to build a station. By 1898, Ardmore was a thriving city with businesses, churches, electricity, and telephones. Under a new federal law in late 1898, Ardmore became an incorporated city. Several disasters including a massive explosion and two major fires almost destroyed the town, but the people who built Ardmore came from sturdy stock. After each disaster, they rebuilt, and Ardmore continued to prosper.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
An Incorporated City
Other editions - View all
Ardmore Board Ardmore Main Street Ardmore Public Library Ardmore station Ardmore's Arkansas asphalt Author's collection became began Beginnings to 1907 Board of Trade brick building Broadway Buck Garrett built businessmen Caddo Street Carter County Chickasaw Nation Church Company Confederate Veterans cotton Courtesy of Ardmore Courtesy of Flora Courtesy of Greater Courtesy of Sally courthouse Daily Ardmoreite destroyed east established federal fire department Flora Palmer Foust Frensley Gainesville Greater Southwest Historical hall Healdton Heartland Flyer History of Ardmore Hosea Townsend incorporated city Indian Country Indian Territory intruders John Ringling land Lee Cruce located Lorena Park Main Street Authority McGalliard Collection moved Munzesheimer Nancy Jane noncitizens North Washington Street Oklahoma City opened parade photograph Pickens County police purchased railroad station Ranch Ringling spur Sally Gray settlers Southwest Historical Museum statehood tanker Texas Third Ward town tracks tribal two-story wagon wall Whittington Hotel