Bartow, the city of oaks and azaleas, where history has come alive since 1851, holds a long and colorful history. Forests of oak and pine flank the tranquil stream, which was named Peace by the Spanish Conquistadors. The site, untouched except by the footprint of the Seminole and untamed wildlife, drew the pioneer Blount family to give permanence to a fledgling community by building a place of refuge. First called Fort Blount and alternately Peace Creek, the Civil War and the munificence of cattleman Jacob Summerlin denominated Bartow and ensured its establishment as the county seat of Polk County. Cattle, citrus, railroads, and phosphate, coupled with hard-working, enterprising citizens, provided the catalyst to economic independence. Through war, peace, depression, and boom, Bartow s history is reflected in its places and in the people whose deeds built a city in the wilderness. Images of America: Bartow contains a portrait of history in the continuing growth of a city unveiled by photographic images."
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Acknowledgments ODJQU1OOOOIO Introduction
18851890 OOOO1krlk 3 Progress 18911899
African American Archives of Florida Baptist Barbara and Wallace Bartow Air Base Bartow High School Bartowans Belle and David block Blount brick Broadway Avenue building built Capt celebration centennial Central Avenue citrus city’s civic center Company Confederate corner of Main County’s Courtesy Barbara Courtesy State Archives Courtesy W.L. Harris courthouse east fire Florida Military College Fort Blount Frisbie Collection front high school Historic L.B. Brown honor horses Jacob Summerlin L.B. Brown House Lake Garfield left to right livery stable located Lyle Lynda Belle Main Street Masonic northwest corner opera house parade Peace Creek Peace River phosphate photograph shows pioneer Polk County Historical poses post office present~day railroad seen Seiler News photograph served Silas Lee South Florida Military south of Bartow Spessard Holland Stanford Street Street and Broadway Summerlin Institute Summerlin Street two~story W.L. Harris collection wagon Wallace Orr William Wilson Avenue Winter Haven