Since the first edition was published in 1983, Building Surveys has been the core text in its field for students and professionals alike. Covering everything needed for initial inspections such as equipment, know-how and procedures to writing an accurate report, this book is a proven indispensable guide.
It considers all the structural elements required when surveying a property for example, foundations, walls and roofs as well as what to look out for and how to deal with it. Legal considerations and recent cases are used to illustrate good working practice making this a comprehensive text to this important subject.
* Based on real-life experience of professional surveyors
* Covers knowledge, techniques and equipment needed to inspect and report on a range of properties
* Legal and regulatory requirements fully updated and explained including the changed circumstances in relation to the governments Home Information Packs and in particular the relegation of the Home Condition Report to the status of optional, rather than obligatory, part of the pack.
* Claims against surveyors has resulted in the much greater us of action paragraphs in surveyors reports and new to this edition the specimen report in the book has been re-written to reflect this
* Additional colour photographs have been added which improve the readability and look of the book and enhance the text.
What people are saying - Write a review
Roofs and Chimneys
Joinery and Woodwork
Finishes and Surfaces
Reports on Older Buildings
Reports on Leasehold Properties
Reports for Prospective Mortgagees
A Typical Building Survey Report
Conservation and the Surveyor
The Surveyor as Expert Witness
Other editions - View all
advised apply areas arise asbestos assessment brick brickwork builders Building Regulations building society Building Survey built cause cavity wall ceilings cement chimney claim clay client common furniture beetle concrete condensation condition confirm construction contractor cost Court covenants cracks damage damp damp-proof courses Death watch beetle decorations defects drains especially expert exterior external flat roofs flue foundation freehold ground floor gutters heating inspection insulation joists landlord lath and plaster leaking lease leasehold liability listed building London material membrane modern moisture mortgage movement necessary negligence normally older buildings pipes pipework plaster plasterboard plumbing premises problem purchaser recommended rendering repair residential result rising damp roof void slates sloping solid standard stone structure subsoil suitable surface surveyor tank tenant thermal insulation tiles timber floors timber frame timber treatment tion valuation valuer ventilation window