Building with Awareness: The Construction of a Hybrid Home
Constructing a straw bale solar home requires the merging of solar design with alternative building techniques. Books are useful for accessing information on these topics quickly and easily, while videos are a great way to show actual building methods and techniques firsthand.
The Building with Awareness DVD/guidebook combination brings you the best of both worlds. The award-winning DVD is inspiring and informative, with over five hours of material on every aspect of building a green home. The handy reference guidebook complements the DVD, with color photographs, diagrams, suggestions, and step-by-step methods, all condensed into a nuts-and-bolts format. Used together, these two valuable resources provide a visually dynamic and easy-to--understand library of information.
• Take a front-row seat on the work site, learning from the experts as they notch and stack the straw bales and mix the mud.
• Learn about foundations, post-and-beam wall framing, roof construction and insulation, interior thermal mass walls for improved efficiency, rain-water cisterns, electrical wiring, and photovoltaic systems.
• Learn earth-plastering techniques that create beautiful wall finishes.
• Understand how window placement and other structural elements can help to heat and cool your home and lower your energy bills.
• See how the structure works as a whole and how both energy efficiency and superb aesthetics can come from the same materials.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Anchoring bales to posts
Rough framing of windows
WINDOWS INSULATION 112119 Bamboo arches
added adobe wall aesthetic appliances bamboo battery bolts bond beam building ceiling cement stucco cistern clay coat of earth color concrete construction cross braces drain DVD Location earth plaster electrical outlet embodied energy energy energy-efficient expanded metal lath exterior finish coat flagstone floor foam foundation frame walls gypsum plaster heat height hole installed insulation interior walls inverter layer lead-acid batteries lime plaster loft loose straw lumber material mechanical room mixer mortar nailed needed phantom load photovoltaic panel pipe plastic plumbing plywood posts prevent pump PV panels rainwater rebar roof overhang roofing felt rubble trench foundation sand screw side silicone caulk smooth splash guard strap straw bale construction straw bale wall string structure stucco netting surface SYNCRONOS DESIGN tank tar paper thermal mass thickness tion top ofthe trowel trusses vent volts wallboard water level wheat paste window buck wire wood