Built for Us: The Work of Government and Colonial Architects, 1860s to 1960s
University of Otago Press, Jan 1, 2004 - Architecture - 191 pages
Homes, schools, railway stations, post offices, courthouses, office buildings, police stations, hydro dams ‚?? these buildings surround New Zealand residents in their everyday lives. Most were built between 1860 and 1960, as part of the infrastructure of the new nation state. There are hundreds of these buildings and they are part of New Zealand‚??s national character. Who designed them? Just six men held the post of Colonial or Government Architect during the century. Each had his own distinctive style of design and his own particular brilliance. For the first time, this book presents a visual survey of the public work of each architect, accompanied by brief biographical information. It also looks at the work of some other architects in New Zealand government departments after the Second World War.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Pierre Finch Martineau Burrows 18421920
John Thomas Mair 18761959
2 other sections not shown
accommodated appointed architectural division architectural draughtsman Arrowtown Assistant Government Architect Auckland baths became blocks of flats built Burrows Campbell's central centre Christchurch Claude Paton Colonial Architect Colonial or Government completed concrete construction Coromandel CUSTOMHOUSE Dixon Street drawings Dunedin early photographs emphasise entrance Ernst Plischke facade Flemish gables Former COURTHOUSE Former POST OFFlCE Francis Gordon Wilson garden gold Gordon Wilson Government Bath-house Government Building Government House Greys Avenue ground floor Hawera Henry Clayton heritage Hokitika Housing Architect Hunterville Institute of Architects John Thomas Mair joined Labour land late later Left lNSURANCE lNVERCARGlLL Mair Martinborough Museum Napier Oamaru Opunake Otago OTOROHANGA Paeroa pediments POLlCE STATlON private practice projects public buildings Public Works Department restored Reynolds Right roof Rotorua scheme shows the building stone stripped classical structural surviving buildings Takaka Tauranga timber buildings tower town University College School Waihi Wellington William Henry Clayton wings Zealand Zealand Institute