Cary's New itinerary; or, An accurate delineation of the great roads ... throughout England and Wales; with many of the principal roads in Scotland [&c.].

Front Cover
John Cary, 1819
0 Reviews
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Other editions - View all

Popular passages

Page 251 - ... so called from its leading to the town mills parallel to the river on the west side. It is a place of great trade both by land and water. The air is healthy, and the prospect most delightful. The hill, on which the upper part of the town stands, (in the parish of St. Leonard) rises sixty yards from the bed of the river ; many of the houses are founded upon the rock, and most of the cellars are caves hewn out of it. On the...
Page 353 - Brough ; it is a neat building, but no way remarkable for any thing either internal or external, except the pulpit, which is cut out of one entire stone. Near the church, on a hill, are the ruins of an ancient castle...
Page 251 - The town is well supplied with water, not only from an extensive spring, half a mile off, by pipes, but also from the Severn ; it being thrown to the top of Castle-hill by a water-engine, whence the houses are supplied. There is a curious walk made from the high part of the town to the bridge, being a hollow way hewn twenty feet through the depth of the rock ; and although the descent is very great, it is made easy by steps and rails. The town is governed by two bailiffs, elected out of twenty-four...
Page 141 - ... made so noble a stand against Ostorions, and the powerful legions of Rome. The present castle, now mostly in ruins, was erected by Robert Fitzhamon, after the conquest of this part of the country, about the year 110, who made it his residence, and held bis courts of chancery and exchequer here.
Page 485 - The ruins of the castle are venerable pieces of antiquity ; and the remains of religious bouses are so numerous, that the very barns, stables, &c., are built with arched doors and windows. Newport Gate, on the north side of the city, still remains, and is one of the noblest remnants of Roman architecture left in Britain. The chief trade is in coal. brought by the Trent and Fossdyke ; ana oats and wool, which are sent by the Witham.
Page 377 - THE FRONT AND LODGINGS, BEFORE THE LATE ALTERATIONS. PEMBROKE COLLEGE. 1 HIS college derives its name from William earl of Pembroke, who was chancellor of the university at the time of its foundation. But though of modern growth, its site was once occupied by some of the most ancient tenements within the precincts of the university and city. The most considerable of these acquired the appellation of BROADGATES...
Page 197 - House, half a mile from the town, is shown the cradle in which Henry V. was rocked, and the armour he wore at the battle of Agincourt.
Page 373 - Behind the Altar is the beautiful Chapel of the Holy Trinity, in the Middle of which...
Page 373 - Portland stone, in 1788. The choir is the most spacious of any in the kingdom, being 180 feet in length from the western door to the altar.
Page 374 - Queen's was founded by Robert de Eglesfield, chaplain to Queen Philippa, consort of Edward III, and placed under the patronage of the queens of England (ibid.

Bibliographic information