Central Ohio's Historic Prisons
With the opening of the Ohio State Reformatory in 1896, the state legislature had put in place "the most complete prison system, in theory, which exists in the United States." The reformatory joined the Ohio Penitentiary and the Boys Industrial School, also central-Ohio institutions, to form the first instance of "graded prisons; with the reform farm on one side of the new prison, for juvenile offenders, and the penitentiary on the other, for all the more hardened and incorrigible class." However, even as the concept was being replicated throughout the country, the staffs of the institutions were faced with the day-to-day struggle of actually making the system work.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Boredom and Terror Behind the Walls
Little Tales from the Big House
The Palace of Death
From Refuge to Reform School
Time and Change on the Hill
Other editions - View all
African American Anna Marie Hahn April Authors became began BIS/FSB boys building built called Camp Chase Camp Chase Cemetery cancer cells CCCJ cellblock Chester Himes Cincinnati Cleveland collection Columbus Confederate soldiers confinement construction convicted County crime criminal dairy Daniels Death House died dormitories Dovie East Hall electric chair established executed F. B. Sanborn facility fire former George George Hoadly Girls Glattke highway patrol Himes honor Industrial School inmates institution institution's jail James Jennings John July killed Koloski later legislature Licavoli lived located Lucasville manufactured mess hall Mordecai Bartley movie Myers named officers Ohio Correctional Ohio General Assembly Ohio Penitentiary Ohio Reform Farm Ohio Reform School Ohio State Reformatory parole photograph police population power plant prison yard released replace Scioto second floor second-degree murder sentenced Sheppard shown superintendent Tingler U.S. Supreme Court wall West wife William wrote youth