Childhood Speech, Language, and Listening Problems: What Every Parent Should Know
Does your child have trouble speaking or listening?
This fully revised and updated edition of the essential guide explains what you can do to help
Have you noticed that your child has difficulty getting the right words out, following directions, or being understood? If so, speech-language pathologist Patricia Hamaguchi -who has been helping children overcome problems like these for more than twenty years-has now revised and updated her highly effective guide to help you determine what's best for your child. Find out all you need to know about:
* Autism/PDD, central auditory processing disorders, dyspraxia, bilingual language development, adoption issues, thumb-sucking, and more
* How to recognize the most common speech, language, and listening problems
* When to get help for your child and when to wait
* Where to find the right specialist and what to ask
* How to read and understand the jargon-filled evaluation report
* The very latest changes in philosophy, treatment approach, labeling, laws, programs, and resources
* How the problem may affect your child academically, socially, and at home
* Tips for helping your child at home
"Provides valuable information for parents of children with speech, language, and listening problems."----Sandra C. Holley, Ph.D., Former President, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Parti What You Should Know and
Does Your Child Need Help?
Having Your Child Evaluated
8 other sections not shown
Other editions - View all
Childhood Speech, Language, and Listening Problems
Patricia McAleer Hamaguchi
No preview available - 2010
ability Angelique areas asked auditory memory problem auditory processing disorder autism behaviors called cause central auditory processing cerebral palsy chapter chil child's speech classroom teacher cleft palate communication conversation deficit developmental diagnosed difficulty discussed dren dyspraxia evaluation expressive language expressive vocabulary feel frustration grade guage help the child help your child improve language delay language problems language processing disorder language processing problem language skills learning disabilities listening problems listening skills mother mouth muscles normal oral-motor parents pervasive developmental disorders phonological disorder preschool prob professional public school questions Ramon receptive language receptive vocabulary remember sentences social sometimes sounds speaking special education specialist speech and language speech pathologist speech problem speech therapy speech-language pathologist stories stuttering syndrome talk Tamina tell tests therapist tongue traumatic brain injury typical understand vocal cords word retrieval problems