Chills and Thrills: The Ultimate Anthology of the Mystical, Magical, Eerie and Uncanny
Lena Tabori, Natasha Tabori Fried
Welcome Enterprises, Incorporated, 2010 - Juvenile Fiction - 223 pages
While there have been collections of ghost stories and fantasy tales beforeChills and Thrills, none have so completely combined all the frightening and magical elements that have enchanted and spooked children for generations. Filled with scary stories, poems, spells, superstitions, and even recipes, and fabulously designed with vintage art and illustrations,Chills and Thrillswill provide many nights of creeps and shivers that will last well beyond Halloween Eve. Included in this hauntingly fun book are:
• Ghost Stories: Including such classics as "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," "The Monkey's Paw," and "The Judge's House".
• Tales of Magic and Fantasy: From classics by H.G. Wells, Mark Twain, and Mary Shelley.
• Poems: Including the witches' chant fromMacBeth, Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven," and the Witches' Chant from Shakespeare'sMacbeth.
• Spells: For kids and grown-ups alike to try at home,Abracadabra!
• Curses: gone unexplained for centuries, discover the truth behind curses such as the Burton Agnes Skull and the Tower of London.
• Superstitions, Legends, and Lore: Helpful advice and history on such mystical items as mirrors and candles, as well as the meaning behind All Hallow's Eve, the Jack-o-Lantern, the Banshee, and the legends of Harry Houdini and Merlin.
• Magic Tricks: Complete with instructional illustrations, perform amazing feats like how to make someone float on air and how to read an invisible message.
• Treats: Guaranteed to bring ghosts, witches, and wizards to the table, recipes include Graveyard Brownies, Eyeball Cookies, and a Witches' Brew.
What people are saying - Write a review
LibraryThing ReviewUser Review - shungate - LibraryThing
The front cover is entrancing and interesting because it has an eerie night time cover with shiny letters oozing down the front cover. On the back is a scared child surrounded by pumpkins. The inside ... Read full review