Featuring over 450 archival photographs and line drawings, Chinese Dress traces the evolution of Chinese clothing from court and formal costumes to the fashions of modern China.
A comprehensive and sumptuously illustrated book, Chinese Dress
is the essential reference for costume historians, fashion designers and collectors, as well as lovers of beautiful clothes everywhere. Chapters include:
- Dress of the Qing Manchu Rulers 1644-1911
- Dress of the Manchu Consorts 1644-1911
- Attire of Mandarins and Merchants
- Attire of Chinese Women
- Republican Dress 1912-1949
- Clothing of the Lower Classes
- Clothing for Children
- Dress in New China 1950-2006
From Imperial robes to foot binding to the cheongsam, Chinese Dress
spotlights traditional Chinese dress against a background of historical, cultural and social change, opening a fascinating window for anyone seeking to deepen their understanding of China, Chinese culture and Chinese fashion history.