Church Building and Restoration in Victorian Glamorgan: An Architectural and Documentary Study

Front Cover
University of Wales Press, 2004 - Architecture - 219 pages

Dr Geoffrey Orrin’s study contains a detailed account of all those Anglican churches within the county of Glamorgan that were built, rebuilt, restored or re-modelled in any significant way during the Victorian period, 1837-1901. It includes as well as the churches within the county that were part of the diocese of Llandaff, those Anglican places of worship within the deanery of Gower in the western part of that county which was included within the diocese of St David’s.

The author has closely studied and observed every church in person in addition to assembling all the relevant material he could find amid a wide range of manuscripts and printed sources relating to the work undertaken on the churches. Many churches now demolished or redundant are included in this work. The whole is arranged parish by parish, set out in alphabetical order. The result is the standard work of reference for all those interested in church building and restoration in Victorian times for local historians, students of church history in Glamorgan, clergy, parishioners, librarians and architectural historians.

The work is illustrated by 60 monochrome photographs, some of which have never been published before.

From inside the book

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.


List of Abbreviations xx
St Elvans Church Aberdare
A view of St Fagans Aberdare

58 other sections not shown

Common terms and phrases

About the author (2004)

Dr Geoffrey R. Orrin was born in Mumbles, near Swansea and is a graduate of its University. A compulsive church crawler, he is the author of The Gower Churches (1979), A History of Bishopston (1982), Medieval Churches of the Vale of Glamorgan (1988) and co-author with Dr F.G. Cowley of A History of All Saints’ Church, Oystermouth (1990). He has contributed several articles on church history to Gower and recently to Morgannwg. He is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London. Before retirement to Somerset he was Sub-Librarian Technical Services at the University of Wales, Swansea.

Bibliographic information