Featuring the authors' extensive, clear, and faithful translations of original sources, Classical Mythology, Seventh Edition, retells the myths and legends of Greece and Rome in a lucid and engaging style. Building on the best-selling tradition of previous editions, it incorporates a dynamic combination of poetic narratives and enlightening commentary to make classical myths come alive for students. The discussion covers comparative and interpretative approaches as well as evidence from art and archaeology. The authors also examine the enduring survival of classical mythology in the fields of art, literature, music, dance, and film.
Classical Mythology, Seventh Edition, enables students to explore the fascinating nature of Greek and Roman gods, goddesses, heroes, and heroines and to appreciate the most significant ancient sources of classical legends and myths. The text is beautifully enhanced by 180 illustrations, in both color and black and white.
Classical Mythology, Seventh Edition features:
* More extensive translations of works by the ancient authors: Selections by Greek authors include all thirty-three Homeric Hymns; the important passages in Hesiod's Theogony and Works and Days; and excerpts from Homer, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Herodotus, Plato, Lucian, Pindar, the Pre-Socratic philosophers, and the Lyric poets. Works by Latin authors including Ovid, Vergil, Statius, Manilius, and Seneca are also provided.
* An expanded art program: Sixty-six new illustrations--selected from both the ancient and the modern world--appear throughout the text and are accompanied by substantial and informative captions. Three new maps are also included.
* Text boxes--incorporated for the first time--explore a variety of new topics and highlight interpretative approaches.
* A selected bibliography is included for each chapter.
* More explanatory material is integrated throughout, including a "Glossary of Mythological Words and Phrases in English."
* Companion website: www.classicalmythology.org includes chapter-by-chapter summaries, suggested activities, maps, practice test questions, and PowerPoint lecture slides. The website has been revised to enhance the multifaceted subjects treated in the text and to provide links to numerous helpful resources.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.