Client/server programming with Java and CORBA
CORBA and JavaBeans are merging in cyberspace. Here's your completely updated guide to navigating this previously uncharted territory.
Whether you're a seasoned Java programmer, a distributed objects expert, or looking to be a little of both, this Second Edition of the enormously popular Client/Server
Programming with Java and CORBA gives you the programming know-how you need to combine these two technologies into workable client/server solutions for the Object Web.
Full of working code, tutorials, and design trade-offs, this one-of-a-kind book:
* Includes over 250 new pages on JavaBeans, CORBA Beans, and Enterprise JavaBeans. Shows you how to invoke CORBA objects from JavaBeans tools such as Visual Cafe, JBuilder, and Visual Age for Java
* Covers everything from simple ORB programming to exciting new areas such as CORBA 3.0's POA, Object Pass-by-Value, IDL-to-Java, and RMI-to-IIOP
* Uses tutorials and client/server benchmarks to compare CORBA and its competitors including Java/RMI, Java/DCOM, Sockets, HTTP/CGI, and Servlets
* Covers in detail Netscape's ORB: VisiBroker for Java 3.X; it shows you how to use Caffeine to write CORBA/Java applications without IDL
* Provides a Debit-Credit benchmark for JDBC databases to compare 2-tier vs. 3-tier client/server solutions
* Provides a JavaBeans version of Club Med-a Web-based, 3-tier client/server application that uses CORBA, Java, and JDBC
* Shows how to use CORBA's dynamic facilities such as callbacks, dynamic invocations, object introspection, and the interface repository
* Comes with a CD-ROM containing over 16 Java-based client/server applications (and other goodies).
They have written numerous bestselling books including Instant CORBA,The Essential Client/Server Survival Guide, Second Edition, and The Distributed Objects Survival Guide. The two Survival Guides both won the prestigious Software Development/Jolt Award for best computer books.
Visit our website at www.wiley.com/compbooks/
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
CORBA Meets Java 1
CORBA Meets Java 33
How CORBAJava Augment Todays Web 39
34 other sections not shown
applet application bean Beanlnfo benchmark browser business object byte Caffeine callback called chapter client and server client/server compiler constructor container CORBA components CORBA IDL CORBA object CORBA/Java Count server create database DCOM Debit-Credit defines distributed object driver dynamic Enterprise JavaBeans event example Figure functions Here's implementation increment Interface Repository introspection IUnknown Java class Java IDL javac JavaSoft JBuilder JDBC lets Listing mapping metadata method invocations method returns Methods public Microsoft msecs Naming Service Netscape null object reference ODBC package parameter prompt provides public abstract public abstract boolean public abstract void public class public int public synchronized public void remote object request scenario serializable server objects server-side servlet Smiley SmileyBean socket specify stream stubs Symantec System.err.println(e throws IOException throws SQLException tool transaction TypeCode vendors VisiBroker VisiBroker for Java Visual Cafe VisualAge