Colorado & Southern Railway: Clear Creek Narrow Gauge

Front Cover
Arcadia Publishing, 2004 - History - 128 pages
0 Reviews
In 1860, thousands journeyed to the Colorado Territory, beckoned by reports of gold discoveries in the mountains west of Denver. In the early 1870s, W.A.H. Loveland built a railroad connecting Denver to the Clear Creek Mining District-the Colorado Central Railroad. Over the next 28 years, other lines were established, bought, sold, extended, and merged to service the mining towns of Black Hawk, Central City, Idaho Springs, and Silver Plume. In 1898, the Union Pacific, Denver & Gulf, and the Denver Leadville & Gunnison were combined to form the Colorado & Southern Railway. After more than 40 years of dedication to the Clear Creek District, the railroad was scrapped in 1941. However, tourism would revitalize the area, and in the years to come a group of enthusiasts began to rebuild a portion of the old right of way. Toady, the spirit of the C&S is alive again, and rail fans can make the same journey over "The Loop" that thrilled tourists a century ago.
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Contents

Acknowledgmenrs
6
Introduction
7
Rush to the Rockies
9
Rails to the Mines
19
Union Pacific Takes Control
31
4 Clear Creek Communities
43
The Gilpin Tramway
55
Colorado Southern Railway
67
Argentine Central Railway
79
Wrecks and Effecrs
93
Economics Equipmenr and Evolution
103
Clear Creek in the Modern Era
117
Copyright

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

About the author (2004)

Author Allan C. Lewis maintains an impressive personal library of over 180,000 images relating to military, mining, railroading, and other facets of the American West. He has written and published extensively on rail topics, including another Arcadia title, Railroads of the Pike's Peak Region: 1870-1900.

Bibliographic information