Contemporary Issues in the Early Years
Gillian Pugh, Bernadette Duffy
SAGE Publications, Jun 12, 2006 - Education - 214 pages
'This is essential reading for anyone with responsibility for taking the agenda of early childhood services forward' - Nursery World
Since the publication of Every Child Matters in 2003, and the enactment of the 2004 Children's Act, children's services in the UK have undergone - and continue to undergo - a sea change. With a focus on improving outcomes for all children, and of closing the gap between those who do well and those who do not, the importance of the early years of children's lives and of supporting families through integrated service provision are now centre stage.
Earlier editions of this book have argued for coherent policies for young children and for an expansion of high quality early childhood services. This edition reflects the many developments across the early childhood field in the past few years, with a particular emphasis on working together across agency boundaries to respond effectively to the needs of children and families. Much has been achieved, although there is still progress to be made.
The book covers
- policy and service development at national and local levels, including the broader children's services agenda, as well as specific developments for young children, such as Sure Start and children's centres
- the international context for early childhood services
- the development of frameworks for curriculum, for assessment and for inspection
- the voice of the child, diversity and inclusion
- working in multi-agency teams, and with parents
- the impact of research
- training and workforce issues
This Fourth Edition is extensively revised and most of the chapters are completely new. The authors are all distinguished figures in the early childhood field.
Contesting Early Childhood... and opening for change
This conference brings together internationally renowned speakers from the world of early childhood. It will appeal to anyone interested in possibilities for diversity, complexity and multiple perspectives in early childhood education. Institute of Education, London, 11-12 May.
Click here for more information, and to place your booking.