Critical Thinking For Strategic Intelligence
Accomplished instructors and intelligence practitioners Beebe and Pherson have created a set of twelve robust, class-tested cases on events in foreign intelligence, counterintelligence, terrorism, homeland security, law enforcement, and decision-making support. The case studies are designed to give analysts-intraining a hands-on opportunity to apply structured analytic techniques to tackle real-life problems. Each case delivers a compelling narrative and a set of step-by-step instructions that make teaching and learning as effective and efficient as possible.
- Questions at the start of each case challenge the student to think critically and help the students bring the case into focus;
- Carefully crafted narratives provide the right amount of detail to give a realistic sense of the complexity and challenges of the case;
- Recommended readings at the end of each narrative allow room for further research
- Sections entitled "Structured Analytic Techniques in Action" frame the analytic tasks and provide step-by-step instructions for applying three to fi ve analytic techniques in a series of exercises for each case study;
- Two hundred photos, maps, figures, tables, boxes, and technique templates support analysis and instruction; and
- A matrix of the cases and techniques used in each cases augment the annotated table of contents and provide students and instructors an all-in-one view of the contents.
What people are saying - Write a review
WHO ARE THE CUSTOMERS?
WHAT ARE THE KEY QUESTIONS?
WHAT IS THE BROADER CONTEXT FOR THE ANALYSIS?
HOW SHOULD I CONCEPTUALIZE MY PRODUCT?
WHAT IS MY ANALYTIC APPROACH?
CAN COLLABORATION CONTRIBUTE TO A BETTER ANSWER?
WHERE IS THE INFORMATION I NEED?
HOW DO MODELS HELP MY ANALYSIS?
HOW DO I CONVEY MY MESSAGE EFFECTIVELY?
IS MY ARGUMENT PERSUASIVE?
HOW SHOULD I PORTRAY PROBABILITY AND LEVELS OF CONFIDENCE?
HOW CAN GRAPHICS SUPPORT MY ANALYSIS?
HOW DO I PRESENT MY MESSAGE IN THE MOST COMPELLING WAY?
HOW DO I KNOW WHEN I AM FINISHED?
COUNTERING THE IRANIAN NUCLEAR THREAT STUXNET AND ITS BROADER IMPLICATIONS
WHAT TYPES OF INFORMATION ARE AVAILABLE?
CAN I TRUST THE SOURCES?
HOW SHOULD I EVALUATE SOURCES ON THE INTERNET?
WHAT IS MY ARGUMENT?
ARE MY KEY ASSUMPTIONS WELLFOUNDED?
CAN I MAKE MY CASE?
DID I CONSIDER ALTERNATIVE HYPOTHESES?
HOW DO I DEAL WITH POLITICIZATION?
HOW MIGHT I BE SPECTACULARLY WRONG?