The second edition is designed to be an authoritative textbook in the field of critical care medicine. The text has a broad multidisciplinary focus that would be appealing to critical care physicians trained in anesthesiology, surgery or pediatrics, as well as the internal medicine-trained critical care physician.
- Reduction in mortality from Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) by using lower tidal volume ventilation.
- Reduction in mortality from septic shock using activated protein C therapy
- Ability of reperfusion therapy (angioplasty or coronary surgery) to reduce death due to cardiogenic shock associated with myocardian infarction.
- Erthropoietin to treat anemia in the ICU
Timing of blood transfusions in the critically ill.
- Management of Acute Ischemic Coronary Syndromes with platelet IIb/Illa receptor antagonists.
- New techniques in mechanical ventilation.
- Both editors are internationally acknowledged leaders in multidisciplinary critical care medicine and multisidciplinary practitioners
- Key Points lists at the end of chapter, to help readers make decisions rapidly and easily.
- Delivers key references that list other useful resources for information.
Spanish version also available, ISBN: 84-8174-642-8