Database Solutions: A step-by-step guide to building databases 2/e
Are you responsible for designing and creating the databases that keep your business running? Or are you studying for a module in database design? If so, "Database Solutions" is for you! This fully revised and updated edition will make the database design and build process smoother, quicker and more reliable.
Recipe for database success
- Take one RDMS - any of the major commercial products will do: Oracle, Informix, SQL Server, Access, Paradox
- Add one thorough reading of "Database Solutions" if you are an inexperienced database designer, or one recap of the methodology if you are an old hand
- Use the design and implementation frameworks to plan your timetable, use a common data model that fits your requirements and adapt as necessary
- Includes hints and tips for success with comprehensive guidance on avoiding pitfalls and traps
- Shows how to create data models using the UML design notation
- Includes two full-length coded example databases written on Microsoft Access 2002 and Oracle 9i, plus 15 sample data models to adapt to your needs, chosen from seven common business areas
New for this edition!
- New chapters on SQL (Structured Query Language) and QBE (Query by Example), plus a chapter on database administration and security. A new chapter on current and emerging trends in the area ensures that the book is up to date
- The database design methodology has been improved and simplified
- A companion website contains an implementation of the "StayHome" database that runs throughoutthe book, plus SQL scripts for 15 sample data models, lecture slides, sample solutions for all exercises from the book plus suggested exam questions and answers, and a variety of possible courseworks
Thomas Connolly was a designer of RAPPORT, the world's first commercial portable DBMS, and of the LIFESPAN configuration management tool - a winner of the British Design Award. Carolyn Begg specializes in the application of database systems in biological research. They are both authors of the best selling "Database Systems," also published by Pearson Education, which has sold nearly 200,000 copies since publication in 1995.