If you’re a woman over thirty-five you probably have a lot of stress in your life–maybe even more than you realize. You may have a demanding job, family obligations, financial pressures, or a combination of all three. You’re most likely low on energy, gaining weight, and not sleeping as well as you once did. The fact is: your body is changing. You see and feel it happening, but you don’t know anymore what is normal and what is not. Your concern over your health is creating stress all by itself. And if you’re like most women, you don’t think your health care providers are giving you the help you need. In fact, traditional doctors may not even be aware of many diseases that present special problems in women.
Dr. Nieca Goldberg knows what you’re going through, because she has seen women dealing with these stressful bodily changes in her practice every day–and has experienced them firsthand. A renowned physician and pioneer in women’s heart health, Dr. Goldberg is also a passionate advocate for doctor-patient communication. In this welcome book she’ll give you a personal consultation so that you can understand the changes in your body, solve problems that plague women starting in their mid-thirties, and find the right doctor for optimal health care. Inside you’ll find
• the normal physical changes you can expect to experience at age thirty-five and after
• treatments for over- and underactive thyroids and other hormone issues
• the signs, symptoms, and management of type 1 and type 2 diabetes
• facts on fertility, contraceptives, pregnancy, and menopause
• information on good breast health, including preventive breast-cancer measures
• a comprehensive heart-to-heart about your cardiovascular system
• dealing with GERD, stomach ulcers, gallstones, IBS, IBD, and colon cancer
• strategies for keeping bones strong, fending off arthritis, and coping with foot and back pain
• the importance of diagnosing sleep apnea and saying good night to insomnia
• revelations about the mind-body connection–countering stress and relieving depression
• the ins and outs of medical exams–what to ask, and when to change doctors
• an eating program that will help you achieve a healthy weight
• an exercise program to strengthen bones, build muscle, and provide energy
There is so much unreliable health care advice on the Internet and so many fad “cures” that it can be hard to know what matters and what doesn’t. With warmth and encouragement, Dr. Nicea Goldberg gives you the solid information you need on the path to great health.