Duquesne

Front Cover
Arcadia Publishing, 2005 - History - 128 pages
0 Reviews
Located just eleven miles southeast of Pittsburgh, Duquesne has a history that began when British general Edward Braddock and American colonel George Washington marched through the area and were defeated by the French in 1755. Once a part of Mifflin Township, Duquesne was later named in honor of the French governor general of Canada. Through the 1800s, the area was primarily fertile farmland. After the construction of the Carnegie Steel Mill in 1901, the town became an industrial giant in steel production. Incorporated as a town in 1891, Duquesne became rich in culture, with people from ethnic backgrounds as diverse as the skills they utilized to build the community. By the height of World War II, the Carnegie Steel Company, now the Duquesne Works of United States Steel, employed over ten thousand people. Through nearly two hundred photographs, Duquesne extols the history of this prosperous town.
 

What people are saying - Write a review

We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.

Contents

Acknowledgments
6
A True Community
41
4 The Landscape
69
Those Who Served
91
Just for Fun
109
Copyright

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

References to this book

About the author (2005)

Daniel J. Burns is the vice president of the Homestead Mifflin Township Historical Society and a sergeant with the Duquesne Police Department.

Bibliographic information