ESPN: The Mighty Book of Sports Knowledge
Random House Publishing Group, Jun 9, 2009 - Sports & Recreation - 224 pages
In The ESPN Mighty Book of Sports Knowledge, Steve Wulf, acclaimed author and founding editor of ESPN The Magazine, delivers an arena’s worth of sporting wisdom, trivia, best-of lists, curiosities, legendary feats, and sacred objects–from the magic of Lou Gehrig’s farewell speech to the lore of hockey’s Stanley Cup to the art of the perfectly thrown Wiffle Ball pitch. Written to remind us all why we love the games, this indispensable reference features contributions from the finest minds at ESPN, as well as guidance from actual professionals. Inside you’ll discover
• twenty-five of the greatest sporting nicknames
• the keys to being a mascot
• what happens during a pit stop
• the five best (worst?) on-field temper tantrums
• a tour of Donovan McNabb’s locker
• how Wayne Gretzky tapes his sticks
• the unbeatable secret of rock-paper-scissors
• how to tape an ankle, fold a paper football, hit a hole in one, whistle with your fingers, throw a knuckleball, jump rope like a champ, and oil a baseball glove
• advice from star athletes–learn to run routes like Jerry Rice, take a penalty kick like Landon Donovan, fake opponents out like Chris Paul, and put on your socks the John Wooden way
The ESPN Mighty Book of Sports Knowledge is the perfect antidote to our video-game culture and an essential gift for any fan who ever dreamed of throwing a tight spiral in a Super Bowl, closing out a World Series game, or lining up a putt to win a major. In other words, it’s a book for the young and the young at heart.
From the Hardcover edition.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
asked athletes award Babe Ruth ball base baseball basketball batting Bill Bobby Brandon Quintin Adams Brian cards championship changeup Chris Chris Moneymaker Chris Paul coach Cubs double steal Ederle Famer fans fastball feet field fight fingers Frazier Gertrude Ederle Getty Images Giants Gipp glove goalie golf golfer Gretzky grip guys Hall of Fame hand hockey hole home run Howie Schwab Image-page jump Lacrosse locker long snapper Lou Gehrig major league mascot Michael Phelps Mike movie º º Olympic outfielder paper football Pete pitch pitcher play players quarterback Raymond RBIs Real Quiet says score ſº soccer Stadium Stagg Steve Super Bowl T H E tape tennis there's things throw Tom Brady Tony Lazzeri trophy University victory winner World Series Yankees York