Easy Growing: Organic Herbs and Edible Flowers from Small Spaces
Growing a handful of herbs and edible flowers adds sparkle to dozens of meals year-round. Fortunately for us, these plants are not fussy. They’re simple to grow and will fit into any space you can provide, including a crack in a broken patio stone, the step next to your front door, or a windowsill. In Easy Growing, Gayla Trail—author of Grow Great Grub and creator of the top online gardening community, YouGrowGirl.com—shares the tips, ideas, and know-how you need to raise delicious organic edibles wherever you can squeeze in a planter.
Herbs give big rewards with a small amount of work—even the most inexperienced, space-strapped gardener will have success. This handbook includes:
• Guidance on choosing the right plants, designing dazzling in-ground gardens and striking edible containers, and growing herbs indoors year-round
• Ins and outs of growing fifty different plants and hundreds of varieties, from warm and aromatic Mojito mint to peppery nasturtium flowers, from fruity lemon verbena to exotic cinnamon basil, and more
• Handy tricks for winterizing plants and extending the outdoor growing period
• Simple recipes for cooking with and preserving your harvest: Herb-Encrusted Goat Cheese; Homegrown Bloody Mary Mix; Lavender Shortbread; Orange, Rosemary, and Honey Ice Cream
• Upcycling projects based on reusable materials
Perfect for novice gardeners and longtime enthusiasts looking for inspiration, Easy Growing is a fun, power-packed resource for creating a delicious herb garden anywhere.
From the Trade Paperback edition.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
So Many Herbs So Little Time
KEEPING STOCK GATHER PRESERVE
From the Garden to Your Belly
Preserving and Storing Herbs
Other editions - View all
Allium anise Anise hyssop aphids arugula baking basil bee balm Borage bottom bulbs butter Calendula catnip chamomile cheese chervil cilantro climates cold color Container Culture coriander Cuban oregano culinary herbs dill drainage Edible Flowers fennel fertilizer ﬁrst ﬂavor ﬂowers fresh herbs fridge Garlic chives Ginger green grown growth harvest heat herb garden herbal hibiscus holes homegrown honey hyssop indoors infuse Ingredients insects juice keep the soil lavender blossoms leaves lemon balm lemon verbena lemongrass lots lovage marigold marjoram MINIMUM DEPTH moist Nasturtium onion oregano outdoors parsley pepper pesto pests Purple roots rosemary roughly chopped salad Salad burnet savory scented geraniums sea salt seeds sorrel space SPACINGI spray spread spring stems stevia sugar summer sweet tablespoons tablespoons dried tall tarragon taste teaspoon thyme tomato transplants variegated varieties VARIETIESZ vinegar Viola warm winter