Encyclopedia of Gender and Society, Volume 1
SAGE, 2009 - Social Science - 976 pages
2009 RUSA Outstanding Reference
"All topics in this wide-ranging resource are addressed in an unbiased and unprejudiced manner, and facts are stated clearly and coherently. The coverage of changing topics is kept current. A valuable addition to any library."
· Provides users with a "gender lens" on society by focusing on significant gender scholarship within commonly recognized areas of social research
· Offers "framing" essays that summarize commonly used concepts and directions of research and provide an overview of each area (e.g., Media and Gender Socialization; Religion, Gender Roles in; Sexuality and Reproduction; Women's Social Movements, History of)
· Examines basic aspects of social life from the most individual (self and identity) to the most global (transnational economics and politics).
· Contains new information on well-known subjects, including surprising facts that may counter common assumptions and research in areas of study where the impact of gender has been traditionally overlooked
· Reflects cutting-edge discussion and scholarship on current issues and debates regarding gender and society