Environmental Protection: Law and Policy
Robert L. Glicksman
Aspen Publishers, 2003 - Law - 1070 pages
The new edition of this highly respected casebook continues to provide an exceptionally cohesive interdisciplinary overview of the fundamental issues of environmental law. From history and theory to litigation, regulation, and policy, the authors provide a seamless blend of enlightening and engaging material.If you have not used Environmental Protection: Law and Policy, be sure to consider its many strengths:
- a thorough and nuanced treatment of the history of Environmental Protection, existing laws and regulations, and current and developing policy objectives
- lightly edited cases, ranging from old standards to those on the cutting edge, to allow in-depth treatment of topics
- a distinguished author team, with extensive practical, scholarly, and teaching experience
- broad-based, international, and interdisciplinary approach that incorporates the three major sources of environmentalism: science, economics, and ethics
- plentiful learning aids, including detailed explanatory text supported by cases; accessible notes offering basic information as well as alternative and supplementary perspectives; supporting charts and other graphics; summaries of major regulatory acts; and numerous exercises and problemsScrupulously revised and updated, the Fourth Edition offers much new material:
- citations to recent literature
- new Supreme Court cases, including Friends of Earth, Inc. v. Laidlaw Envvtl. Ser. (TOC), (standing under the Clean Water Act's citizen suit provision), Buckhannon Board & Care Home v. West Va. D.H.H.R., (recovery of attorney's fees), FDA v. Brown & Williamson, (resorting to statutory context), and Whitman v. American Trucking, (rejection of anon-delegation challenge to the Clean Air Act)
- Mead on judicial review of statutory interpretation and Harmon, the landmark Eighth Circuit Court decision holding the EPA lacks the power to overfile under RCRA
- major new ESA litigation, such as Gibbs v. Babbitt and Defenders of Wildlife v. Bernal, plus additional coverage of 1999 CERCLA amendments and proposals to limit cost liability
- additional summaries of cases, acts, and laws; charts, graphs, and illustrations; a glossary of key terms; and a list of acronyms, all provided to heighten accessibility of new and existing materialsNo area of study is as well suited for the interdisciplinary approach as environmental law, and Glicksman, Markell, Mandelker, Tarlock and Anderson are the masters of the method. Examine a copy of Environmental Protection: Law and Policy, Fourth Edition, and see for yourself why this pioneering casebook is still unmatched for intellectual breadth and depth.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
What Are Environmentalism and Environmental Law?
From Scientific Conservation and Preservation
The Scientific Lessons of Ecology
55 other sections not shown
Other editions - View all
9th Cir action Administrator agency's air pollution air quality alternative amendments analysis apply authority benefits cancer carcinogenic challenge chemical Clean Air Act Clean Water Act compliance Congress conservation consider Corps costs Court of Appeals D.C. Cir decision determine discharge economic ecosystem effects effluent limitations emissions emissions trading Endangered Species Endangered Species Act environment environmental impact environmental law Envtl EPA's existing exposure Forest habitat harm impact statement implementation industry injury interpretation interstate issue judicial review land legislative major stationary sources NAAQS National natural navigable waters NEPA nonattainment areas nonpoint source nonpoint source pollution ozone permit program Petitioners plaintiff plant point source pollution control problem proposed protection reasonable reduction regulation regulatory response risk assessment rule rulemaking scientific Section Sierra Club significant statute statutory substances Supp tion TMDL toxic violation water quality standards wetlands wildlife