Essential MATLAB for Engineers and Scientists
The essential guide to MATLAB as a problem solving tool
This text presents MATLAB both as a mathematical tool and a programming language, giving a concise and easy to master introduction to its potential and power. Stressing the importance of a structured approach to problem solving, the text gives a step-by-step method for program design and algorithm development. The fundamentals of MATLAB are illustrated throughout with many examples from a wide range of familiar scientific and engineering areas, as well as from everyday life.
• Includes MATLAB Version 7.2, Release 2006a
• Numerous simple exercises provide hands-on learning of MATLAB’s functions
• A new chapter on dynamical systems shows how a structured approach is used to solve more complex problems.
• Common errors and pitfalls highlighted
• Concise introduction to useful topics for solving problems in later engineering and science courses: vectors as arrays, arrays of characters, GUIs, advanced graphics, simulation and numerical methods
• Text and graphics in four colour
• Extensive instructor support
Essential MATLAB for Engineers and Scientists is an ideal textbook for a first course on MATLAB or an engineering problem solving course using MATLAB, as well as a self-learning tutorial for students and professionals expected to learn and apply MATLAB for themselves.
Additional material is available for lecturers only at http://textbooks.elsevier.com. This website provides lecturers with:
· Numerous simple exercises give hands-on learning
· A chapter on algorithm development and program design
· Common errors and pitfalls highlighted
· Concise introduction to useful topics for solving problems in later engineering and science courses: vectors as arrays, arrays of characters, GUIs, advanced graphics, simulation and numerical methods
· A new chapter on dynamical systems shows how a structured approach is used to solve more complex problems.
· Text and graphics in four colour
· Extensive teacher support on http://textbooks.elsevier.com: solutions manual, extra problems, multiple choice questions, PowerPoint slides
· Companion website for students providing M-files used within the book
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
algorithm angle application M-file array operations ASCII axes balance Bisection method brackets browser button callback called cell array Celsius Chapter color column command line Command Window context menu create Current Directory debugging defined differential equations disp display edit Editor elements elseif error evaluated example executed EXERCISES Fahrenheit figure window floating point fopen format formula fprintf function file graph graphics object grid handle initial initialize vector input argument integer launch Leslie matrix logical expression logical vector loop M-file mathematical MATLAB function MATLAB statements matrix Matrix exponential menu Newton’s method Note output arguments plot plot(x problem radians rand random numbers returns root scalar scientific notation script file semicolon simulation sin(x solution solve sparse sparse matrix specify steps string structure plan subscripts temperature variable workspace Write a program zero