Foundations of Education incorporates relevant interdisciplinary perspectives and emphasizes coverage of key issues in education, with up-to-date research, primary resources, and documentation. This text provides comprehensive and substantive coverage of all "foundational" areas—including social, philosophical, historical, political, economic, curricular, and legal—for students who are preparing for a career in teaching and for those who simply wish to learn more about significant contemporary issues in education. The authors have included strong, thought-provoking pedagogy, and have emphasized the growing role of technology in education. This Teaching in Action Edition is packaged with a special guide that correlates text material with the HM Video Cases.
- In This Case boxed features contain brief, fictional case scenarios that describe situations in which new teachers might find themselves. Readers are asked to think critically about concepts discussed in each chapter.
- Expanded topical overview charts in each chapter summarize and compare key developments and topics in education.
- Information about standards addresses the growing emphasis on holding students, teachers, and schools accountable for performing at levels specified by local, state, and national standards.Legal issues, including the No Child Left Behind act, are addressed.
- Technology@School, a popular feature in every chapter, updates students on relevant developments in educational technology and provides information that may prove useful in their teaching careers.
- Additional features include Focus Questions at the beginning of each chapter, Refocus Questions after major text sections, and Taking issue charts, offering arguments on both sides of a question.
- Houghton Mifflin Video Cases, four- to six-minute video modules presenting real classroom scenarios, enable students to observe the day-to-day challenges and rewards of teaching from the convenience of their computers. Available on the Online Teaching and Study Centers, HM Video Cases are enhanced by classroom artifacts, Viewing Questions, Interview Transcripts, Key Terms, and bonus video footage.