Healthy Kids, Smart Kids: The Principal-created, Parent-tested, Kid-approved Nutrition Program for Strong Minds and Healthy Bodies
When she became principal of a 1000-student Georgia elementary school, Dr. Sanders-Butler was disturbed by the high number of visits to the school nurse, disciplinary problems, tardiness, and inattention, to say nothing of so many children being overweight. Convinced the problems were directly related to the pizza, sodas, and sweets the school offered, she launched the Achieving Academic Excellence Through Nutrition program, which banned refined sugars and high-fat and processed foods and drink from the cafeteria.
The results were immediate: better attendance, improvements in attention and energy levels, plus higher grades. Now, she shares with parents everywhere the lunchroom lessons that will help their children thrive, including:
- Best foods for growing minds and bodies
- Best choices for setting up a healthy kitchen, including shopping for "natural" and organics foods and packaged, and convenience products
- Eating out, special occasions, and eating "on the go."
- Fighting peer pressure and junk-food commercials
- Breakfast, lunch, snacks, and dinner: ideas, advice, and 50 simple, healthful recipes
- How everyone can get involved in their school and community
- Resources for information and support-on-and-off line
What people are saying - Write a review
Healthy Kids, Smart Kids: The Principal-Created, Parent-Tested, Kid-Approved Nutrition Plan for SoundBodies and Strong MindsUser Review - Not Available - Book Verdict
In 1999, elementary school principal SandersButler created a nutrition and exercise program that improved grades and increased attendance at her Georgia school. She banned sugar from campus, increased ... Read full review
Eating Out Celebrations and Vacations
Making Health and Fitness Part