English Heritage, 2004 - 39 pages
Set on a rocky outcrop overlooking the River Rye, the ruins of Helmsley Castle still dominate the town. The castle was first established in the 1120s by Walter Espec, one of the most prominent nobles in England at the time. The castle was extended and enhanced by its various owners throughout the Middle Ages, most notably in the 14th century, when alterations are likely to have been made from King Edward III's visit to the castle in 1334. By the 16th century, the medieval buildings were inadequate for the ambitious Edward Manners, and he converted the chamber block into a fine Tudor mansion, the remains of which can still be seen today.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
The Castle Ditches 23 Helmsley Before the Castle
The West Tower 31 The Late Medieval Lords
The Latrine Tower 38 The 20th Century
1 other sections not shown
14th century 14th-century window accommodation alterations barbican wall basement bridge buildings built chamber block chapel Church create Croxden Abbey curtain wall D-shaped towers decorated defences ditch and rampart door drawbridge Duke of Buckingham Duncombe Park Earl of Rutland east tower Edward Manners enclosure English Heritage fireplace floor gallery Fursan further gate passage gatehouse George ground floor heir Helmsley Castle inner bailey inner ditch interior Kirkham Priory lancet window lands latrine tower lord of Helmsley Lord Roos lord's Manners's masonry medieval visitor mullioned and transomed north gate North Yorkshire north-east north-west northern original outer ditch parapet walk rebuilding reconstruction drawing rectangular remains Rievaulx Abbey River Rye Robert de Roos roof Roos family Roos II's route second Duke seen south barbican south gate south-east south-west wall southern staircase Thomas Fairfax tower was heightened town transomed windows turret upper floor vault Walter Espec's wealth west tower William de Roos wooden stairs