Homes Within Reach: A Guide to the Planning, Design, and Construction of Affordable Homes and Communities
The essential, highly visual architectural design resource for affordable housing
Homes Within Reach provides the first systematic guide for planning, designing, and constructing modest, yet high-quality, homes. From siting and foundations to systems, layouts, and interior and exterior finishes, it covers dozens of design and construction techniques that promote housing quality with sensitivity to lowering costs.
Homes Within Reach is packed with hundreds of photographs, and architectural design details, making it a practical visual reference, covering such topics as:
* Selection of location and lot size with consideration of zoning
* Conceptual approaches to space design, access, circulation, and finishes
* Preconstruction phases and key building components, such as foundation, framing, window selection, prefabrication, and mechanical systems
* The subdivision--density measurement units and the relationship of lots to both the homes built on them and the street front
* Parking arrangements, pedestrian and cyclist paths, and project infrastructure
* Design strategies for open spaces for outdoor and leisure activities
* Infill housing, including approaches to take advantage of existing infrastructures
Complete with demonstration projects, checklists, and cost-analysis, Homes Within Reach is a valuable resource for architects.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
SELECTING A SITE
DWELLING FORMS AND PROTOTYPES
8 other sections not shown
accommodate addition affordable housing project basement brownfield builders building building envelope built buyers cars cities CMHC configuration construction costs cost-reduction create cul-de-sac curb density dwelling units dwelling's effect efficiency ensure existing expensive exterior feet Figure floor Floor area ratio foundation front functions garage grade heat heat pump hectare high-density home's homebuyers homeowners household income increase indoor parking infill housing infill project infrastructure initiators installation Insulated Concrete Forms insulation interior joists land landscaping lane layout located lots Louis Pretty lower materials multifamily neighborhood NIMBY occupants open spaces options outdoor space passive solar pedestrian percent pipes planning public transit Radburn rear reduce require residential residents roads roof row houses semidetached sidewalks single-family single-family detached home site's solar gain stairs strategies street streetscape structure tion triplex urban urban sprawl utilities wall width zoning