What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
A. L. M. Ply Agawam River alkermes Assawompsett Pond Assowetough Black Brook Black Sachem boundary in deed Bridgewater Buzzard's Bay Coatuit corruption cranberry diminutive Edward Winslow Half Way Pond Hedges Pond hill History of Middleborough Indian deed Indian name Indian Place Names Indian village Indian word King Philip Kitteaumut Little Herring Pond locative suffix M. H. S. Coll Manomet Massasoit Meadow meaning Men's Purchase Middleborough and Lakeville miles Monhiggin Monhonkenock Monumet mouth Namasket River name of land name of river Narragansett neck of land original path Patuxet Pilgrims place called Plymouth Colony Plymouth County Plymouth Town Pocksha Pond Pokanoket pond called Pond in Middleborough Possibly present name Purchase from Tuspaquin Quitticas Pond Red Brook rock Saquish signifies small fishing place South Purchase spelled Squanto stream swamp Swanhold Taunton River Tispequin Tisquantum Titicut Town Brook Town Records translation tribes wading place Wampanoag Wankinco Wareham Weetamoo Weston Weston's History Worcester County
Page 6 - Lakes Erie and Ontario, and the peninsula east of Lake Huron. They formed, as it were, an island in the vast expanse of Algonquin population, extending from Hudson's Bay on the north to the Carolinas on the south; from the Atlantic on the east to the Mississippi and Lake Winnipeg on the west.
Page 25 - ... to build a smale pinass at Manamet,* a place 20. mile from ye plantation, standing on ye sea to ye southward of them, unto which, by an other creeke on this side, they could cary their goods, within 4. or 5. miles, and then trasport them over land to their vessell ; and so avoyd the compasing of Cap-Codd, and those deangerous shoulds, and so make any vioage to ye southward in much shorter time, and with farr less danger.
Page 31 - Paeassatt," the greater part of the word, denotes a place at which "a strait widens — where the narrows open out." On examination of the formation of Little Herring Pond and noting the gradual widening out of the very short stream between Great and Little Herring Ponds, this part of the word certainly describes the locality. The first part of the name has probably been changed. Pato — possibly Pehtean — ' 'foaming' ' — ' 'afoaming narrows. ' ' Petaug — "a bay;" Potobzg — a bay. "Where...
Page 18 - trap " amauy — "pond." 2. Appamatuck, name of a river in Virginia mentioned by John Smith in 1607. Alkarmus Field, Alkermaus— 1641. " On the westerly side of Sandwich Street, including Mount Pleasant Street and the land on both sides and bounded by Gallows Lane on the west.
Page 18 - ... different authorities. Lemoine, in his Montagnaise dictionary, gives "Agwanus — an unloading place." Appaum, Apaum, Umpame. ' ' The ancient name applied to that part of Plymouth on one side of Town Brook, Patuxet, the name applied to the other side" (letter from William T. Davis, Sept. 19, 1906). "Umpame, written Apaum in the Colony Records, is the name of Plymouth in Churches History, and so it is called still (1815) by the natives of Massapee.
Page 31 - Patuxet, and that about four years ago all the inhabitants died of an extraordinary plague; and there is neither man, woman, nor child remaining, as indeed we have found none, so as there is none to hinder our possession or to lay claim unto it.
Page 20 - One niarvellous story however is still preserved. Before the existence of Coatuit Brook, a benevolent trout, intending to furnish the Indians with a stream of fresh water, forced his way from the sea into the land ; but finding the effort too great for his strength, he expired, when another fish took up the work where he left it, and completed the brook to Sanctuit Pond. The reader may believe as much of this story as he pleases. He probably would regard the whole as a fiction, if...
Page 22 - Oaugh-taugh-cant-teist (Ke) Kut- to-kunt- ta I offer the above only as a suggestion. Catawmet. The name of a district of Plymouth. (See Kitteaumut.} Also a name used near Falmouth. Hobbamak's Ground. "A parcel of land on Watson's Hill occupied by Hobbamak by permission of the colony before 1623.