An indispensable reference to the history of environmental design When first published in 1981, William Mann?s Space and Time in Landscape Architectural
History played an important role in helping students and practitioners in landscape architecture and architecture to understand the rich history of environmental design. Now fully revised and twice as large as its predecessor, Landscape Architecture: An Illustrated History in Timelines, Site Plans, and Biography features expanded and updated treatment of several sections?a new section of biographies and new coverage of the design contributions of racial and ethnic minorities, women, and non-Western civilizations. To give a fully rounded perspective, Landscape Architecture looks at environmental design from several different angles, using such sections as:
- Timelines?Environmental design doesn?t occur in isolation, and this format?updated through 1992?underscores that by relating major landmarks and figures in environmental design to significant political, philosophical, technological, and social events.
- Maps?How do geography, latitude, and climate affect environmental design? Can we gauge design influence by the proximity of one creation to?or its distance from?another? This section, which pinpoints the location of major cities and design works, answers these and other vital questions.
- Scaled Site Plans?Including 25 new plans, this compilation of more than 100 of the most notable works?from ancient Egypt to present day and drawn to common scales?facilitates at-a-glance comparisons between sites and offers such essential data as location, date(s) of design development, names(s) of the designer(s), and size in acres and hectares.
- Biographies?This new section sketches the contributions of nearly 300 major figures who, through the ages, have helped shape environmental design land scape architects, architects, planners, visual artists, artistic schools, philosophers, aesthetes, patrons, clients, and more.
- Glossary?Featuring nearly 500 new terms, it clarifies English and foreign languagge words and phrases central to environmental design and derived from land scape architecture, architecture, planning, history, art, engineering, ecology, horticulture, and related fields.
An essential reference for students of landscape architecture history, Landscape Architecture is also an important source of design ideas for current professionals in all areas of environmental design.