Leisure Studies: Themes and Perspectives
Electronic Inspection Copy available for instructors here
What is the place of leisure in societies where people complain of 'over-work'? How do personal freedom and choice relate to the inequalities of class, gender, disability and ethnicity?
This critical introduction to the field offers a systematic account of the meaning and structure of leisure today.
* situates the student in the field
* provides a comprehensive account of the leading approaches to leisure
* explores the influence of class, race, gender, ethnicity, disability and age
* discusses to role of the sate
* examines leisure in the context of changing work relationships
* locates leisure in the debate around globalization
In short, this is an indispensable, one-stop guide to understanding leisure.
What people are saying - Write a review
1 WHAT IS THE LEISURE EXPERIENCE?
2 SOCIOECONOMIC AND CULTURAL APPROACHES TO LEISURE
3 PARTICIPATION AND CONSTRAINT CLASS AND GENDER
4 PARTICIPATION AND CONSTRAINT ETHNICITY DISABILITY AND AGE
5 THE EMERGENCE OF AN INSTITUTIONAL FRAMEWORK FOR LEISURE
6 THE UKS CONTEMPORARY INSTITUTIONAL FRAMEWORK FOR LEISURE
7 THE LOCAL STATE AND LEISURE PROVISION IN THE UNITED KINGDOM