Mit mondanak mások - Írjon ismertetőt
Nem találtunk ismertetőket a szokott helyeken.
Más kiadások - Összes megtekintése
London in All Its Glory, Or How to Enjoy London During the Great Exhibition ...
Henry Green Clarke
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2018
London in All Its Glory: Or, How to Enjoy London During the Great Exhibition
Henry Green Clarke
Nincs elérhető előnézet - 2016
Admission appearance arches architecture beautiful Boxes bridge British building built called centre Chapel Charles church collection columns commence completed consists contains continued Corinthian Court designs direction Duke east edifice eight elegant entrance erected establishment exhibition feet figures fire five four front Gallery garden George grand ground Hall handsome Henry HOSPITAL House hundred Institution interesting interior James John King laid leading length light London Lord metropolis months Museum nearly noble o'clock objects Office Open daily originally ornamented paintings palace Pall Mall Park Paul's persons picture portico portion present principal Queen river Road Royal School sculpture seven side Society spacious square statue stone Strand Street structure style supporting taken takes Temple Theatre till Tower twenty various visitor walls Westminster whole wide
23. oldal - There is no instance of a man before Gibbons who gave to wood the loose and airy lightness of flowers, and chained together the various productions of the elements with a free disorder natural to each species.
23. oldal - Our national prisons and hospitals, improved upon the suggestion of his wisdom, bear testimony to the solidity of his judgment, and to the estimation in which he was held. In every part of the civilized world, which he traversed to reduce the sum of human misery, from the throne to the dungeon, his name was mentioned with respect, gratitude, and admiration.
23. oldal - ... and to the estimation in which he was held. In every part of the civilized world, which he traversed to reduce the sum of human misery, from the throne to the dungeon, his name was mentioned with respect, gratitude, and admiration. His modesty alone defeated various efforts, which were made during his life, to erect this statue, which the public has now consecrated to his memory.
187. oldal - Professional Singer will find them invaluable in allaying the hoarseness and irritation incidental to vocal exertion, and consequently a powerful auxiliary in the production of melodious enunciation.
52. oldal - Kent, before the middle of the 1 3th century. It afterwards devolved to the archbishop of York, whence it received the name of York-place, and continued to be the town residence of the archbishops, till purchased by Henry VIII. of Cardinal Wolsey, in 1530. At this period it became the residence of the court; but in 1697...
33. oldal - It is supposed to have been the work of the Confessor. Within its precincts was born Edward V.; and here his unhappy mother took refuge with her younger son Richard, to secure him from his cruel uncle, who had already possession of the elder brother.
68. oldal - Between the two extremes, and comprising what are called the curtain portions, are the libraries for the House of Peers, and the libraries for the House of Commons : in the immediate centre is the conference-room for the two Houses. All this is on the principal floor, about fifteen feet above the terrace, or high-water mark. The whole of the floor...
163. oldal - British empire, a public institution for diffusing the knowledge and facilitating the general introduction of useful mechanical inventions and improvements, and for teaching, by courses of philosophical lectures and experiments, the application of science to the common purposes of life.
73. oldal - It has also been used for the trial of peers, and other distinguished persons, accused of high treason, or other crimes and misdemeanors, such as the late lord Melville, Warren Hastings, &c. In this hall likewise are held the coronation feasts of the kings of England.