Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Front Cover
Harper Collins, Oct 2, 2012 - Fiction - 304 pages
305 Reviews

The Great Recession has shuffled Clay Jannon out of his life as a web-design drone, and serendipity, sheer curiosity and the ability to climb a ladder like a monkey have landed him a new gig working the night shift at Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore. But Clay begins to realize that this store is even more curious than its name suggests. There are only a few customers, but they come in repeatedly and never seem to actually buy anything. Instead they “check out” impossibly obscure volumes from strange corners of the store, all according to some elaborate, long-standing arrangement with the gnomic Mr. Penumbra. The store must be a front for something larger, Clay concludes, and soon he has embarked on a complex analysis of the customers’ behaviour and roped his friends into helping him figure out just what’s going on. But once they take their findings to Mr. Penumbra, they discover the secrets extend far beyond the walls of the bookstore.

Evoking both the fairy-tale charm of Haruki Murakami and the enthusiastic novel-of-ideas wizardry of Neal Stephenson or Umberto Eco, Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore is exactly what it sounds like—an establishment you have to enter and will never want to leave.

 

What people are saying - Write a review

User ratings

5 stars
124
4 stars
133
3 stars
30
2 stars
12
1 star
6

LibraryThing Review

User Review  - jimgysin - LibraryThing

A very slow start is the only thing that detracts from this one. So slow, in fact, that the first 10% of the book took me longer to get through than the remaining 90%, and not just because I kept ... Read full review

LibraryThing Review

User Review  - m.belljackson - LibraryThing

With its title, readers anticipate a lively tale about many, many books. Books do form the focus, yet it is more the story of computer expertise and, oddly, GOOGLE. Interwoven are lovely scenes of the ... Read full review

Contents

Stranger ina Strange Land
The PeacockFeather
Copyright

Other editions - View all

Common terms and phrases

About the author (2012)

ROBIN SLOAN is a self-proclaimed media inventor and writer living in San Francisco. He grew up near Detroit and went to school at Michigan State, where he studied economics and co-founded a literary magazine. Since then, he’s worked at Poynter, Current TV and Twitter, figuring out the future of media. Visit his website at robinsloan.com.

Bibliographic information