In this brief text, two leaders of the Teaching Sociology movement encourage students’ development of their sociological imaginations through role-taking. Assuming the role of a child living in poverty in India or of a member of an African tribe, students learn to re-envision their global society. An innovative, integrated framework provides core sociological concepts, while features such as Contributing to Our Social World enable students to “do” public sociology. Our Social World: Condensed Version presents the perspective of students living in the larger global world.
- A global perspective is integrated into each chapter, inspiring students to begin thinking of global society as a logical extension of their own micro world
- Boxes highlight volunteer and career opportunities available now and after graduation for students with a background in sociology
- Sociologists’ influence on policy issues is highlighted so students can see the impact of sociology on the ‘real world’
- An underlying goal of critical thinking and deep learning, through features such as Thinking Sociologically, encourages students to internalize and analyze the global society from a sociological viewpoint
- The Social World Model in each chapter provides an organizing framework to help students understand the interrelatedness of core concepts