Oxford American Children's Encyclopedia: 9 Volume Set
Fully updated and revised, the Oxford American Children's Encyclopedia, Second Edition, includes more than 2,000 entries to accompany the topics taught in American classrooms. Listed alphabetically and color coded by letter, the entries deliver concise information enriched by high-quality photos, outstanding illustrations, diagrams, maps, charts, and sidebars. The set includes a separate volume of nearly 500 biographies focused on prominent figures throughout world history. A table of contents, plenty of cross references, and comprehensive index make this friendly reference work easy to navigate. The last volume includes a gazetteer, timeline of world history, and set index.
With its well-rounded coverage of social studies, history, geography, language arts, science, math, sports, and the arts, the Oxford American Children's Encyclopedia is indispensable for both school and home libraries.
Updates to the second edition include:
* Year 2000 population figures for countries, U.S. states, Canadian provinces, major cities, and territories, as well as the worldwide number of refugees
* Latest political and social developments in Algeria, Argentina, China, Gambia, Indonesia, the Middle East, Nepal, Pakistan, Palestine, Russia, Serbia, Somalia, the United Kingdom, Yugoslavia, and elsewhere
* Recent advances in science, such as the discovery of new chemical elements, the finding of feathered dinosaurs, and the progress of the Human Genome Project
* New world records, from ballooning to bridge construction
* Forthcoming eclipses
* Statistics from the 2000 Olympics and new world records in sports
* Latest technological advances, from DVDs and digital cameras to superconductivity and space exploration
* Economic summit protests at Seattle and Genoa and the adoption of the euro
* New information on leaders such as Bill Clinton, Nelson Mandela, and Colin Powell, and an added biography of George W. Bush
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Prehistoric people 2023
Proverbs and sayings