Arcadia Publishing, 2010 - History - 127 pages
The Panhandle's first railroad, the Southern Kansas Railway of Texas, was constructed in 1886. Reaching Amarillo in 1889, the railway pulled cars filled with immigrant families and their belongings. The settlers were farmers from the east and south who came west to find water and cheap land. George Tyng, an adventurous fortune seeker, began leasing ranch land in 1887. A rail station was constructed, and Tyng eventually settled on the name "Pampa," a South American word that means "plains." Tyng was fond of saying that someday Pampa would be the "Queen City of the Plains."
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Cowboys and Indians
4 Growing Pains
Texas Law Enforcement
Look at Us Now
Other editions - View all
Ace Pendleton acre Alanreed Alex Schneider Amarillo Anne Davidson Baldwin Baptist Church Baten beautiful brick streets Buckler buffalo built camp carbon black plants cattle Celanese celebrating Cheyenne Chisum church in Pampa club comanagers Combs-Worley county seat courthouse cowboy Cuyler danced Deer Land Company Deer Land Museum Elliott George Tyng girls grand jury Gray County Greever Hendrix horse Indian JA Ranch killed ladies largest later law enforcement located Lovett Library M. K. Brown McClellan Creek miles from Pampa Native Americans oil and gas Oil Fields Palo Duro Canyon Pampa area Pampa High School Pampa Oilers Pampas main street Panhandle Photograph courtesy picture prison Railroad Ranch Red River Red River War Rufe Jordan Santa Fe Schneider Hotel settlers shows south of Pampa Stone Calf T. D. Hobart Texas Ranger town U.S. Highway 60 wagons west of Pampa wheat White Deer Creek White Deer Land Woody Guthrie