Paramedic Practice Today: Above and Beyond, Volume 2
Jones & Bartlett Publishers
, 2011 - Medical
- 1071 pages
Providing the tools you need to succeed, Volume 2 of Paramedic Practice Today: Above and Beyond completes the building of a solid foundation for paramedic practice and now reflects the 2010 emergency cardiovascular care guidelines! A conversational, easy-to-read style simplifies topics and helps you master National Standard Curriculum objectives and meet the new National Education Standards. It includes a companion DVD with step-by-step videos demonstrating the skills in the textbook and more. Because this book corresponds to the National Registry of EMTs National EMS Practice Analysis, it provides you with the best possible preparation for the National Registry exam.
- Unique! The new National Education Standards are referenced, as well as the National Standard Curriculum objectives.
- Unique! This textbook addresses the tasks in the NREMT 2004 National EMS Practice Analysis, which is the foundation for the NREMT exam.
- Special topics cover paramedic practice in many environments from Farm Rescue and Wilderness EMS to Air and Ground Critical Care Transport and Tactical EMS.
- Four-part case scenarios appear in each chapter, and emphasize patient comfort and care: 1) an introduction sets up the scenario and asks questions, 2) the scenario continues, following the treatment of the patient and asking more questions, 3) the conclusion resolves the scenario and asks more questions, looking back on decisions that you've made, and 4) the summary answers all of the questions presented in parts 1-3.
- 14 skill sequences show each action with illustrated, step-by-step instructions.
- A companion DVD-ROM shows video clips of all the skills in the book, along with medical animations, lectures, and skills video clips from other Elsevier titles.
- Pediatric Pearl boxes call attention to the differences for pediatric patients.
- Geriatric Considerations are highlighted in special boxes to draw attention to the differences for elderly patients.
- Cultural Considerations boxes highlight helpful tips for interacting with people of various cultures.
- Paramedic Pearl boxes highlight important information from the text.
- An anatomy and physiology review begins chapters as needed, and for specific conditions, those chapters also include a description/definition, etiology, epidemiology and demographics, history, physical findings, differential diagnosis, therapeutic interventions, patient/family education, and prehospital pearls.
- Chapter Summaries are bulleted to help you review important information.
- Key Terms are defined in the terminology section at the end of each chapter for easy review before exams.
- Quizzes end each chapter, with answers and rationales at the back of the textbook.
- A pediatric quick-reference foldout card is included with the book.
- A comprehensive index and 2,222-term glossary cover all the content in Volumes 1 and 2, allowing you to quickly find key terms and topics.
- A drug index covers approximately 100 drugs.