Planning for the Elderly in Florida
This up-to-date practice guide provides analysis and commentary on the laws and regulations affecting the elderly in Florida, as well as checklists and forms to facilitate counseling and drafting. A glossary of acronyms provides a handy reference for abbreviations of common agencies, programs, and other terms. Planning for the Elderly in Florida covers a wide range of issues of concern to the elderly in Florida, including:
• Social Security benefits available to retired and disabled wage earners, spouses, dependents, and survivors;
• Relevant federal income tax issues, including tax rates and exemptions, medical expense deductions, treatment of life insurance proceeds, and credits for the elderly and disabled and for a dependent's care;
• Medicare eligibility and coverage as well as Medicare supplemental insurance (Medigap) policies;
• Medicaid coverage and eligibility criteria, the rules governing the transfer of assets by a person who applies for Medicaid benefits in Florida, and the avenues available to Medicaid applicants who have been denied coverage;
• Residents' rights in long-term care facilities, including nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and adult family care homes;
• Planning for incapacity, including property management (durable powers of attorney, revocable living trusts, and joint ownership) and health care decisions (living wills, health care surrogate designations, do-not-resuscitate orders, health care proxies, as well as long-term care insurance);
• Guardianship and its use, the procedure for initiating a guardianship, and the guardian's powers and limitations;
• Social service programs available to seniors in Florida, the agencies responsible for their oversight, and program eligibility requirements; and
• Elder abuse and the various remedies available to protect individuals and redress injuries.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Admin Administration advance directive agency agent alleged incapacitated person amending appeal applicant appointment assets assisted living authority beneficiary Chapter CHECKLIST client Code Ann court deductible Dep’t of Children determination developmental disability disability discharge Dist Economic Self-Sufficiency ESS Elder Abuse Elder Law elderly person eligibility enrollment Families Florida Dep’t Florida law Florida Statutes Florida Trust Code Footnotes funds guardianship health care decisions hearing home health hospital incapacity Income Trust individual individual’s life-prolonging procedures limited managed care Medicaid Medicaid benefits Medicare Advantage Medigap month notice nursing home patient payment penalty persistent vegetative petition physician power of attorney premiums prescription drug coverage principal principal’s Program Policy Manual protect proxy Public Guardianship Office qualified receive recipient request resident resident’s rules Social Security special needs trust spouse Stat surrogate termination transfer waiver ward ward’s