Protecting Your Church Against Sexual Predators: Legal FAQs for Church Leaders
An invaluable handbook written by an experienced lawyer for confronting and avoiding the spiritual, emotional, and financial devastation resulting from churches not anticipating the presence of sexual predators in the church. Many flourishing churches have been destroyed by child molestation and the resulting litigation. Unfortunately, sexual predators within the walls of the church are not uncommon. They sit in our pews. They come to our picnics. They even preach from our pulpits and teach in our classes. How can a church protect itself and its children from a very real threat and avoid financial catastrophe brought on by a groundswell of lawsuits? This practical and pertinent book by attorney Voyle Glover cuts to the chase, providing concise, succinct guidelines for protection against sexual predators. Glover's expertise on a wide variety of issues will minimize a church's risk by reducing the opportunities for predators, decreasing liability, and managing the excessive legal exposure. Topics include:
- Insurance issues that need to be addressed and understood now.
- Is forgiveness an issue when dealing with a repentant child molester?
- Why it is essential to distinguish between restoration, love, and obligations.
- What to do when there is an accusation raised against a church member.
- What about sexual assaults by leadership?
- Guidelines for pastors and other leaders in counseling situations. Includes forms designed to help protect the church.
Appreciating the Danger Posed by Child Molesters
A Closer Look at Some Reasons for the Risk
Paying Attention to Detail
It Happened What Is Our Liability?
Sexual Assaults by Leaders
A Duty to Report?
Consent by Volunteer Worker
Questions to Ask Former Church
Tip Sheet for Trips and Outings
Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect United States
Penalties for Failure to Report United States
Definitions of Child Abuse and Neglect
Clergy as Mandatory Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect
Childrens Worker Application
Questions to Ask References
Immunity for Reporters of Child Abuse and Neglect