Pseudoscience: A Critical Encyclopedia
Greenwood Press, 2009 - 191 עמודים
More than just a collection of factual entries, this rich resource explores the difference between scientific and pseudoscientific pursuits in a way that spurs readers to ask questions and formulate answers.
What makes science science? How do we tell which assertions, beliefs, and methods are scientifically sound, and which are not? Brian Regal's authoritative, entertaining new reference, Pseudoscience: A Critical Encyclopedia gets at the heart of these questions by helping readers understand how the scientific method works, how to critically analyze all kinds of "evidence," and how to sort through long-running myths and current pseudoscience controversies.
Ranging from the dawn of history to the present and across world cultures, Pseudoscience uses a field of endless fascination as a means of driving home the importance of solid scientific reasoning. The encyclopedia spans the full spectrum of scientific and nonscientific pursuits, from chemistry, biology, psychology, and medicine to eugenics, religion, cryptozoology, the occult, and paranormal activities. Specific entries focus on general concepts of science, the lives of individuals, and claims of abilities. Throughout, these entries go beyond simply stating facts by constantly engaging readers in a discussion about the very nature of true scientific discovery.
* 124 entries, from alchemy and alien abductions to yetis and zombies, that continually focus readers on the true nature of legitimate scientific methods and findings
* An introductory essay, drawing on the work of genuine historians and philosophers of science, offering guidelines for assessing topics in pseudoscience
* 40 original line drawings created specifically for this reference, depicting key individuals, creatures, artifacts, and more
* An extensive bibliography of current and classic works on the full range of pseudoscience topics covered in this volume
* An index that makes it easy to locate specific topics, terms, names, and ideas