Drawing on a wealth of models, checklists, and guidelines, Revising & Editing shows classroom teachers how to address the teaching of specific revising and editing skills to improve both fiction and nonfiction writing. Les Parsons explores the concept and the goal behind these two distinct practices through:
- activities that encourage students to rethink the writing process, from initial idea to final product;
- a toolkit of reproducible sheets that focus on a range of skills--from word choice, sentence, and paragraph structure to grammar, punctuation, and title treatment;
- tips for promoting collaborative learning through peer and student-teacher conferences and parental involvement;
- 8 series of student models that illustrate prose narratives, essays, poems, and projects, and how to use these models with students;
- a thorough discussion of the role of drafting in the computer age;
- practical suggestions for the assessment and evaluation of student writing;
- a glossary of terms for easy reference.