SS City of Milwaukee
After the Grand Trunk car ferry SS Milwaukee was lost with a crew of 52 men in an October 1929 storm, it was replaced by the SS City of Milwaukee. Built in 1931, the ferry operated for half a century, hauling loaded railcars across Lake Michigan. Serving the majority of her career with the Grand Trunk Milwaukee Car Ferry Company, the ship spent her last few operational years sailing for the Ann Arbor Railroad. She survives today as the last unaltered example of a Great Lakes railroad car ferry designed with twin stacks, a classic profile, and triple-expansion engines. Now a museum ship and a National Historic Landmark, this remarkable vessel serves as a living memorial to the car ferries and the dedicated crews that sailed them.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Z Ann Arbor Railroad Car Ferries
SS City of Milwaukee Operational History
Lights Camera Action
aft pilothouse Andrie Ann Arbor fleet Ann Arbor Railroad anuary aworski boat Bob Newcomb Bob Strauss boilers Brauer Productions Bruce Groeneveld built cabins Capt captain car deck car ferry fleets City of Milwaukee CofM crew members cross-lake Debra Townsend Deep Sea Detectives Elberta engine room feet ferry design ferry slip ferry’s film Foster Frankfort freight George Micka Grand Haven Grand Rapids Grand Trunk Railroad heavy ice hull Kirk Lorenz Lake Betsie Lake Michigan Lakes car ferry loading apron located Manistee Lake Manistee River Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company Milwaukee Archives Milwaukee’s mooring museum National Historic Landmark painted passenger dining room Pere Marquette Photograph by Bob Photograph by Bruce Photograph by Debra port preservation purser railcars Railway Roger LeLievre sea gate ship ship's ship’s society member SS City stacks starboard stern Stoltmann Tim Foster tour triple-expansion steam engine vessel view shows visible Wisconsin WMMM wooden