Educate young adults and build their self-esteem so they can make informed choices!
Specially designed for teaching adolescents and adults with developmental disabilities, the STARS model focuses on four areas: Understanding Relationships, Social Skills Training, Sexual Awareness, and Assertiveness—with the goals of promoting positive sexuality and preventing sexual abuse. Assessment tools help identify the strengths and needs of each individual, and then the activities can be catered to address specific needs.
Goals and activities cover a variety of important skills:
- Building a Positive Self-Image
- Making Choices
- Learning Relationship-Appropriate Behaviors
- Engaging in Mature Relationships
- Identifying Body Parts and Understanding Their Functions
- Understanding Public and Private Behavior
- Understanding Sexual Feelings and Behaviors
- Understanding Reproduction
- Health Issues Related to Sexual Awareness
- Recognizing a Situation as Potentially Unsafe
- Learning to Say “No” and Using Basic Self-Protect