Routledge Language Workbooks provide absolute beginners with practical introductions to core areas of language study. Books in the series provide comprehensive coverage of the area as well as a basis for further investigation. Each Language Workbook guides the reader through the subject using 'hands-on' language analysis, equipping them with the basic analytical skills needed to handle a wide range of data. Written in a clear and simple style, with all technical concepts fully explained, Language Workbookscan be used for independent study or as part of a taught class.
· introduces the evidence for sentence structure and reveals its purpose
· is based on a problem-solving approach to language
· teaches the reader how to identify word classes, such as noun, preposition and demonstrative
· uses simple tree structures to analyse sentences
· contains numerous exercises to encourage practical skills of sentence analysis
· includes a database and exercises that compare the structure of English with other languages
The second edition has been revised and updated throughout.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
adjective phrase adverb AdvP adzini antha pillaigel art N P art auxiliary verb ayam beginning borondzi re onya called casually gave children eat class of word closed class words compounds constituent coordinated degree modifier demonstrative dialects of English Draw a tree Draw tree structures ebi amgbugodru example exercise fish to Toby following sentences gave a slimy grammatical happy Headless noun identify koli-ai large fish yesterday lelaki letter to John Madi main verb makan ikan Malay Mary told meaning modal verb morphology naan nice piece node noun phrase NP VP NP otse phrase class phrase containing phrase structure possible postposition precedes the verb predicator preposition phrase pronoun relative clause replaced root sentence saapit-ener sentence structure sequence of words sik choa slimy fish subordinate clause Subordinate sentence subordinating conjunction Tamil teeu telah makan thematic roles ungrammatical vaangi-nain Vaux verb phrase wh-movement word class