Named after a Prussian officer who aided America during the Revolution, Fort Steuben was constructed in 1786 to protect government surveyors of the Old Northwest Territory. In 1797, Steubenville, one of the earliest settlements in Ohio, was founded and named after the fort. Located on the Ohio River, the town became a hub of transportation, bringing in settlers and industry. By the 20th century, Steubenville had become a center for steel production and coal mining. Important figures President Abraham Lincoln's Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton, sports commentator "Jimmy the Greek," and entertainer Dean Martin all are natives of Ohio's eastern gateway, Steubenville.
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
4th and Market Bank Beatty became began born Boulevard brick bridge building was constructed called Carnegie Celebration CEMETERY CENTENNIAL ARCH Centennial Parade Center closed common Company completed corner COUNTY COURT HOUSE Court House Crocetti Dean Martin dedicated demolished Department designed downtown early Edwin erected established fire formed Fort Steuben Fourth Hamtramck High School highway Holy Name homes horse-drawn HOTEL Jefferson County John known Land Office later Library Lincoln located looking Market Street Michigan Mill Moon moved mural North 4th Street Note OHIO HISTORICAL Ohio River opened operated organized original Photograph by Ron PLSJOC postcard shows Presbyterian Church President Project purchased reconstructed removed renovated replaced Reverend road Ron Smith Route scene serve shows soldiers South span STANTON PARK statue steel Steuben Steubenville Steubenville's Store streetcar structure Union United wagon Washington Street