What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
The American Year-Book of Anesthesia Analgesia (Classic Reprint)
F. H. McMechan
No preview available - 2017
acid action activity administration adrenalin alcohol amount analgesia anesthesia anesthetic animal become bladder blood pressure body cause cells cent changes chlorid chloroform closed complete condition containing continued danger death decrease deep direction dose drug effect especially ether experiments external fact factor fall field Figure foramen further given head heart hernia important increase indicated induction influence inhaler injection later less lower marked Medical method minutes mixture morphin mouth muscle narcosis necessary needle nerve nitrous oxid normal novocain observed occur opening operation oxygen pain passed patient placed position possible practice preparation present procedure produced pulse reached region removed reported respiration shock side skin slight solution sterile stimulation sufficient surgical sutures technic tion tissues tube usually vapor vesical wound
Page 208 - To know every detail, to gain an insight into each secret, to learn every method, to secure every kind of skill, are the prime necessities of success in any art, craft, or trade. No time is too long, no study too hard, no discipline too severe for the attainment of complete familiarity with one's work and complete ease and skill in the doing of it.
Page 57 - This loss of fluid is not dependent upon any primary impairment of the medullary vasomotor center and takes place at a point beyond the control of the vasomotor mechanism. The causes for this loss of fluid are apparently the same as those which determine the accumulation of fluid in any other irritated area and produce the signs of inflammation. The nervous system probably plays no greater part in the former case than in the latter.
Page 76 - It is indisputably evident that a great part of every man's life must be employed in collecting materials for the exercise of genius. Invention, strictly speaking, is little more than a new combination of those images which have been previously gathered and deposited in the memory: nothing can come of nothing: he who has laid up no materials can produce no combinations.
Page 76 - The more extensive therefore, your acquaintance is with the works of those who have excelled, the more extensive will be your powers of invention ; and what may appear still more like a paradox, the more original will be your conceptions.
Page 374 - It seems difficult to resist the conclusion that the pneumococcus vaccines employed by these observers lessened the incidence and mortality of pneumonia and other conditions produced by the pneumococcus, and among large collections of natives who were highly susceptible to its activity and under conditions favorable to the spread of infection.
Page 75 - ... 716, 733, 734, 735, 738, 739, 744, 746, 748, 751, 755, 758, 764, 765, 767, 768, 772, 773, 786, 788, 789, in the statistics.] CONCLUSIONS. 1. In all intra-cranial lesions involving alone the internal carotid or its branches, this vessel should be tied. If this procedure is not successful, then the external carotid should be secured at the crossing of the digastric. If the facial be given off below this point, it should be secured by a separate ligature.
Page 378 - Like the serum, the bacterin should be polyvalent, and administered at the earliest possible moment. It is frequently employed as an adjunct to serum treatment, stimulating the production of greater amounts of antibodies by the patient. Time is a vital factor in the treatment of pneumonia. For this reason the advisability of the early use of Pneumo-Serobacterin Mulford should be carefully considered ; its action is prompt, and larger doses may be given at short intervals, securing quicker immunity.
Page 57 - In an animal in which blood pressure is depressed practically to zero by an overdose of ether, 46 per cent, of the blood can be obtained from the femoral artery and 13 per cent, from the heart, making a total of 59 per cent., leaving 41 per cent, in the tissues.
Page 208 - ... secret, to learn every method, to secure every kind of skill, are the prime necessities of success in any art, craft, or trade. No time is too long, no study too hard, no discipline too severe for the attainment of complete familiarity with one's work and complete ease and skill in the doing of it. As a man values his working life, he must be willing to pay the highest price of success in it,—the price which severe training exacts.
Page 377 - For the Treatment and Prevention of Diphtheria Diphtheria Antitoxin has reduced the mortality of diphtheria from 40 per cent to less than 10 per cent.* This mortality may be still further reduced By using Diphtheria Antitoxin earlier. By giving larger doses — 5000 to 10,000 units. By intravenous injections in severe or late-treated cases.